Monday, September 27, 2010

Adding spiff to t-shirts :)




Good evening :) I had actually made these shirts a while back, but never got around to posting them on here until tonight. I know a lot of people like to do the "freezer stencil" thing and put images on shirts...well I still haven't tried that method (I will someday!) but I did want to make these a little less plain, so here's what I came up with.

I needed to do 6 shirts, so after thinking a while, I decided on chess pieces. *First step was to go online and google some chess piece image outlines until I found 6 that were relatively uniform in their style/design. *Then I printed out a blown up version (one to a page) and cut the image out of the paper. *Put the image onto the backside of each kind of fabric I wanted to use and traced them with a pencil that would show up. *Cut out each image from its fabric and sprayed the "wrong" side with fabric adhesive, then placed the wrong/sticky side to the t-shirts and let them dry for about an hour. (I also put a piece of paper inside of the shirts to make sure the glue didn't go through and make it stick to itself). *Lastly, used my sewing machine and just sewed each image down around the edges leaving about a 1/4" border.

-You can see the Queen piece (me, of course!) done in purple swirly fabric
-the Knight (which was the girliest one and she loves horses...so I figured that works..) done in tinkerbelle fabric
-the Bishop with Simpsons fabric
-the King (other half's shirt!) in a green wavy fabric
-the Castle also with Simpsons fabric
-and the Pawn done with puppy dog fabric (for the littlest man of the house)

No comments: