Thursday, February 17, 2011

Vintage-Inspired Circle Purses (crochet)


Over the last 2 days, I made these two little purses. They don't have handles or anything, so I guess they'd be called a clutch. They have 7" zippers along the top that match the color of the yarn and were hand-sewn into them after I finished crocheting. Let me tell you how much fun it is to sew in a zipper!!! (ugh).


And here is the open view. :) I really love how they turned out and the yarn I picked (Carron Super Soft, fairly inexpensive and 100% acrylic but you'd never know it by how soft it is...) was perfect.

Anyone who has tried to make circles before with SC stitches probably knows how it starts to turn into a hexagon shape after a while...I found the trick with keeping it rounded was to add rows of (1 sc per st) in between the rows of increases. Then do several rows (3 or 4 at least) of just (1 sc per st) at the end of increasing. These purses have 16 rows altogether (as an example).

If you can crochet a circle and want to try this out, simply follow the rule of thumb above and make the circle as big as you want...then make one more and stitch them together around the edge, leaving a zipper opening. Add a zipper of whichever length you want that would go good with the size of purse you made and voila! Done :)

No comments: